by eggsurplus

Control what your users can access and save time, money, and frustrations. Lock down sensitive data in SugarCRM or SuiteCRM to specific groups or teams. Supports unlimited assigned users, unlimited group assignments to records, custom layouts for each group, login/sudo capabilities and much more.

Free 30 day trial
Try it Now

By clicking you consent to share your profile with the developer

#905 - Studio > Module > Field & Relationships = "An error has occured" popup

Closed Bug? created by jaumealbaiges Verified Purchase 7 years ago

We are experiencing the same problem that was mentioned in the following thread a year ago:

https://www.sugaroutfitters.com/support/securitysuite/23

At last it seemed the question was not related to Security Suite but we are mostly sure it is. If we install SS the problem exists. As soon as we uninstall it, the problem disappears. We have experienced the same issue in two different projects.

We are using SugarCRM CE 6.5.11 and Security Suite 2.6.4 Limited for SugarCRM 6.5.11.

We will really appreciate any help around this question.

Thanks in advance.

  1. eggsurplus member avatar

    eggsurplus Provider Affiliate

    7 years ago

    Hello,

    Are you able to upgrade SugarCRM to 6.5.18? There are a ton of security issues fixed in SugarCRM and issues/enhancements to SecuritySuite in the latest version for 6.5.18. This should address your issue unless it is a file permissions problem which is highly unlikely given the error.

    -Jason

    • jaumealbaiges member avatar

      jaumealbaiges Verified Purchase

      7 years ago

      Hi Jason,

      No, unfortunately, we can't upgrade to 6.5.18, at least in a short time and/or before project delivery.

      We don't think it is a file permission issue because it was our first attempt and repeatedly applied the usual permissions to the whole Sugar structure with no results.

      Can you give us any other advice? Thank you very much.

    • eggsurplus member avatar

      eggsurplus Provider Affiliate

      7 years ago

      Have you tried what neuropharm found at the bottom of that thread? It's possible for that to be the root cause and still be related to SecuritySuite somehow because that payload/error is coming from some SecuritySuite code that customizes Studio. So the folder names with casing issues may be causing an issue due to some SecuritySuite logic that is being triggered by chance when Studio loads.

      My recommendation is to check the directories and ensure that they have the correct casing (match it to what is in /modules).

      -Jason

    • jaumealbaiges member avatar

      jaumealbaiges Verified Purchase

      7 years ago

      Yes, we did so. It is plenty of folders inside custom/modules, but don't feel any of them is strange or shouldn't be there. There are no neuropharm-like doubled folders (ie, accounts/Accounts or similar). Any other clues?

    • eggsurplus member avatar

      eggsurplus Provider Affiliate

      7 years ago

      Try checking your Apache logs and PHP logs to see if there are any errors. Make sure that notice messages are turned off if they aren't already in your php.ini.

      The other thing to do is open /custom/modules/logic_hooks.php and comment out the SecuritySuite stuff.

  2. eggsurplus member avatar

    eggsurplus Provider Affiliate

    6 years ago

    Closing this out, but feel free to follow up if you have any more questions.

This case is public. Please leave out any sensitive information such as URLs, passwords, etc.
Saving Comment Saving Comment...
Rating
Rating
  • "I can say that it has been one of the best modules within our SugarCRM CE instance!"

    Read More Reviews