#3506 - Sync issue with tasks
I've just installed the trial and overall it's working exactly as described.
However there is a slightly odd issue with task sync. If the task doesn't have a start date then it won't sync. If you create it in Thunderbird it is created correctly in the CRM, however disappears from Thunderbird at next sync (although it stays in the CRM). Anything created in the CRM without a start date won't sync at all until you add a start date.
Temp fix - I've adjusted the start date in Studio to have a default value of today - this gets rid of the problem but is is slightly annoying as most tasks don't really need a start date, only a due date.