#546 - New installation, works only partially
Hello, I've just installed Sugarchimp 7.0.7 with SugarCRM professional 6.7.5, for the 30 days trial. I can now see the Sugarchimp module in my target lists, and I can synchronize my target lists with Mailchimp. But that's all that works. There is no subscriber information available with the contacts (I enabled the connectors, like explained in the guide), and I don't see any information from Mailchimp in Sugar.
So for now on, I have only one way sync. from Sugar to Mailchimp.
For info, when I'm on the Sugarchimp health status page, there is a Sugarchimp entry in my top menu, and when I click on it it opens a page with an error popup saying "There was an error processing your request, please try again at a later time." and with a message at the bottom saying "If this error persists, please have your administrator disable Ajax for this module"
Thank you for your help Patrick