What we have done first is delete any trace of SugarChimp in Sugar prior to installing the new SugarChimp as we had a version in there that was not active. We also did check MailChimp prior to configuring SugarChimp and no records were in there. Once we installed SugarChimp on Sugar we created a target list to load via SugarChimp and that loaded the contacts. However, we decided to subscribe to the next version of SugarChimp on the same day so we can use the filtering feature for the fields and archived the old contacts on MailChimp but now it seems that SugarChimp is not sending all the contacts that have the values we specified on the Filters along with the confusion with the Opt out emails. I did setup a call for Tuesday as per your calendar at 8 am MT as it may be easier to review what is happening together by video.